E-Mail ID : firstname.lastname@example.org
Contact No. : 9820261542
Name : Atul Chandrakant Kulkarni
Date of Birth : 17th November, 1967
Educational Qualifications : Bachelor of Chemical Engineering (Shivaji University 1988) with Masters Degree in Management Studies (Operations Research) (Mumbai University 1990).
Passport No. : Z1728770
1. AVSM LOGISTICS PVT LTD.
2. SEAMLESS PROJECTS PVT LTD.
3. ALLSEAS GLOBAL PROJECT SOLUTIONS PVT LTD.
4. BACK BAY SAILING FORUM
5. EURASIA SPECIAL TECHNOLOGIES LTD.
6. INTERARCH INNOVATIONS PVT LTD.
7. INDRA VARUN MARINE SERVICES PVT LTD
Atul loves travelling and likes music.
Sept. 2014 onwards: Advisor (International Projects), Indian Ports Association : Special focus on opportunities for India to participate in development, operate and maintain maritime infrastructure in other geographies. Also Organization Restructuring and Human Resource Development of the domestic Port Authorities.
July 2015 Dec 2015: Advisor (Marine & Ports), Gas Authority of India Limited : Advise and assist the PSUs under Ministry of Petroleum & Natural Gas for their Port related activities and creation of new marine infrastructure such as LNG terminals, Liquid Terminals, Pipelines and Tank Farms, Also assist the government in setting up 4 petroleum technology institutes in the country for providing human resource needed.
Aug 2012 onwards: Independent Consultant : Management and Strategy Consultant in Infrastructure domain with special focus on Maritime Industry, advising various domestic and international clients on Feasibility Study, Project Master Plan, Joint Ventures, Operations and Strategy.
Chairman of a Trust Students’ Experience in Inter-state Living (SEIL) : This 5 decade Public Charitable Trust is involved in activities focusing on National a Integration of the people living in the far flung border areas of India more specific in the North East region. He is involved in activities focusing on Capacity Building and Skill Development of the youth form the region.
National Convener for Maritime Security Study Group of Forum for Integrated National Security (FINS)
Maharashtra State Co ordinatorfor PIOCCI (People of Indian Origin Chamber of Commerce & Industry)
Nov. 2008- Aug 2012: Chowgule Ports & Infrastructure Pvt. Ltd. : As Chief Executive Officer of the Goa based Chowgule group entity, headed the team for development of Greenfield Cargo Terminal and state of the art Ship Repair Yard project on the west coast of India. The project outlay was INR 950 Cr and both the facilities have started commercial operations.
March 2003- Oct. 2008 : Deloitte Touche Tohmatsu India Pvt. Ltd : He was leading member of the Water Transportation Consultancy team for more than 5 years. During the period he worked on various assignments for both public sector entities as well as private clients.
Oct. 2001-Feb 2003: Ministry of Shipping : As Officer on Special Duty working with the Minister of Shipping, Atul was involved in the policy issues pertaining to efficient port operations and the capacity expansion projects at the major ports on the west coast of India. He has been the team member with the Minister for Shipping, Govt. of India for developing the strategies and policies for development and improvement of ports and shipping services in India. The assignment provided an insight into the decision making process of the Government of India.
July 2000- Oct. 2001: Janakalyan Sahakari Bank Ltd : Worked for short duration as Executive Assistant to Chief Executive Officer of a Co-operative Bank with a business mix over 1500 crores then. Also worked as Technical Officer for the evaluation of proposals received for lending financial assistance.
March 1995-June 2000: Camlin Ltd : Worked as Manager (Works) for setting up a Green Field Industrial Adhesives Plant at Taloja. Was responsible for civil construction, erection of machinery, standardization of production, setting up the supply chain and administration.
Chowgule Ports & Infrastructure Pvt. Ltd. :
As Chief Executive Officer, Atul was involved in preparing the Master Plan for a Private Greenfield Cargo Terminal and Ship Repair Yard facility under 50 year Concession Agreement with Government of Maharashtra. He was also responsible for financial closure, recruitment, all statutory approvals & compliance, appointment of contractors, monitoring the project implementation, strategy formulation, interaction with global industry players, hinterland analysis and marketing initiatives. The Cargo Terminal is 700 mtr long quay length with 13 m draft alongside and Mobile Harbour Crane to handle clean cargo including Containers and liquid. The ship repair facility will have ship lift with capacity to lift vessels up to 10000 DWT and 6 repair berths on land. The project is likely to create increased economic activity in the region and save huge foreign exchange for the nation.
Atul was also involved in evaluating the option of setting up of a Port based Special Economic Zone (SEZ) with more than 100 Ha land available immediately behind the waterfront at the location. Although a “In Principle” approval was obtained for the project, the promoters dropped the idea subsequently.
1. Preparation of Master plan cum Detailed Project Report for Gujarat Pipavav Port Ltd : Lead the team as Project Manager for Preparation of Detailed Project Report and business plan for Pipavav Port, Gujarat India. 'Port Pipavav, India's first port in the private sector is promoted by APM Terminals, one of the largest container terminal operator in the world. It involved a detailed traffic study and also included recommendations on the marketing strategy for the port in terms of Strategic cargo / commodity mix and critical success factors. We also carried out detailed Infrastructure assessment, gap analysis, financial feasibility of various projects suggested to client. Phase wise infrastructure development and land use plan. Prepared Detailed Project Report for the submission to GMB for 10 years concession period. Preparing Business Plan and Strategy for the port and financial model for next 20 years.
2. Preparation of Business Plan for Chennai Port : Was a team member with Deloitte as Expert- Port Management for the preparation of business plan for Chennai Port with a 20 year perspective. This assignment includes interaction with the Trade, SWOT analysis of the port, establishing international benchmarks, capacity building of the port organisation, etc.
3. Preparation of Detailed Project Report for Ship Repair & Cargo Terminal Facilities : Leading the team as Project Manager for Preparation of Detailed Project Report for setting up of a Ship Repair and Cargo terminal facility at Jaigad on the west coast of India. The detail tasks involved are developing a Master Plan for the infrastructure to be developed, structural drawing for the phase I facilities, suggest suitable material handling facilities, cost estimation and preparation of bankable document for raising funds.
4. Business Development Report for Papua New Guinea Ports Corporation Limited : Provided inputs as Quality Assurance Partner for the Business Development Plan for 16 ports operated by PNGPCL. The assignment focussed on the sustainability of port infrastructure and the delivery of fundamental services to key industry groups.
5. Strategy formulation for setting up JV for providing Shipping Services- Tata Group : Evaluating the favorable options between leasing out and various form of chartering of vessels. Evaluating the options for registering the ships in the tax efficient countries.
6. Traffic Potential for a Port at Karaikal, Pondicherry : Assisted the team as Port Expert for developing a Traffic Forecast for a new private port coming up at Karaikal in Pondicherry. This exercise included analysing the cargo pattern of the ports in south India. Understanding the economic potential of the hinterland, a cargo estimate was developed to set up the requirements of the infrastructure.
7. Advisory support for Tariff Revision for PSA SICAL Container Terminal : Provided advisory support to a private container terminal operator at Tuticorin Port in India. The assignment included review of the existing Tariff Regulation. The issue of Performance Linked Efficiency Gain was dealt.
8. Preparation of Feasibility Report for SEZ based Port : As a Project Manager was involved in “Preparation of a Techno Economic Feasibility Report for a Port facility near Arnala in Maharashtra”. The proposed site will have a coal based Thermal Power Plant and a multi product SEZ already approved.
9. Feasibility of Ship Acquisition : Was member of the team co-ordinating all the activities involved in preparation of a Feasibility Report for acquisition of a tanker by one of the leading tank farm operator at Mumbai. This study involved traffic estimation, competition analysis, regulatory system, identifying the optimum size of the vessel and financial analysis.
10. Business Plan of the IIMS : Was member of the sub committee constituted by the Director General of Shipping, GoI to develop a Business Plan for all the 4 Maritime Institutes under the Indian Institute of Maritime Studies. This exercise included identifying the maritime education needs and the also potential new high competency courses to be offered by this umbrella institute responsible for maritime education in the country.
11. Pre Feasibility Study to Develop Cruise Activity around Vadinar, Gujarat : Led the team which prepared a Pre Feasibility Report to develop Cruise Tourism around a satellite location of Kandla Port. This included review of the applicable regulatory environment, identifying the potential around a tourist route.
1. Restructuring of the Directorate General of Shipping : Directorate General of Shipping is the Regulatory Authority for all Maritime activities in India. The exercise comprised of identifying the need and setting up of the Directorate’s Regional Offices and their scope of work to facilitate the trade and seafarer community of the country.
2. Indian Institute of Maritime Studies : Setting up of the apex institution to supervise and co-ordinate the Maritime Training activities in the country. In order to put our seafarers at an advantageous position, the Govt. of India permitted the Private Maritime Institutes. To bring uniformity and maintain high standards of education this society will function as an apex body. I was involved in preparing the Memorandum and Articles of Association of the Society and also formation of Board of Governors.
3. Cost Reduction at the Major Ports of India : Various initiatives were undertaken to implement the cost reduction efforts. The possible areas were identified and measures were suggested for savings in electrical energy. An attempt was made to remove the Trans – shipment hurdles faced by the trade at the ports by arranging interactive sessions with various service providers such as Railways, Customs, CONCOR, Custom House Agents, etc. resulting in smooth movement of cargo
Led the team building a green field Industrial Adhesives manufacturing facility at Taloja near Mumbai. Responsibilities included layout preparation, construction supervision, all regulatory approvals and compliance, erection of equipments and trial production, standardisation of product, supply chain, recruitment and training.